Definition of devise in English:
1Plan or invent (a complex procedure, system, or mechanism) by careful thought: a training program should be devised a complicated game of his own devising
More example sentences
- Another system that devises methods to avoid errors is user-centered design.
- The sheer scale of the plans devised by this team required the support of thousands of service personnel and civilians.
- Third, it provides an opportunity for effective user involvement, as the patients assist in devising their own care plan.
2 Law Leave (real estate) to someone by the terms of a will.
- All the residue of my estate, including real and personal property, I give, devise, and bequeath to Earlham College.
- All persons of sound mind are competent to bequeath and devise real and personal estate, excepting infants and married women.
nounLaw Back to top
A clause in a will leaving real estate to someone.
- The issue, however, is whether the language of the devise of the Somerset Estate can fairly be interpreted so as to include the rights under the s. 2 reverter.
- Transfers of real property by inheritance or devise are not subject to the real estate excise tax.
- Example sentences
- Other half interest is devisable by will or passes by succession under probate statutes.
- It follows from this that Loring, at the time of his death, had no devisable estate in the land, and that the heirs of his devisee cannot maintain this suit.
- In modern times, they are generally alienable, devisable and inheritable.
- sense 2 of the verb.Example sentences
- An applicant's failure to give information as required by this section is a breach of his duty to the heirs and devisees but does not affect the validity of the probate.
- If passing by will, tenancy in common between devisees and survivor results.
- Although this absence does not depict exemplary probate procedure, we must look to the purpose of the statute to determine whether appropriate notice is given to devisees and legatees.
- Example sentences
- The ‘Northern Exposure’ project, according to its devisers, Box Architecture, was achieved ‘by the placement of three built forms creating six distinct spaces’ to manipulate light and provide functionality for a family home.
- In this Act ‘inventor’ in relation to an invention means the actual deviser of the invention and ‘joint inventor’ shall be construed accordingly.
- The performers and devisers of the piece manipulate the glove puppets dressed in kabuki-style black costumes.
Words that rhyme with deviseadvise, apprise, apprize, arise, assize, capsize, chastise, comprise, demise, despise, downsize, excise, flies, guise, incise, low-rise, misprize, outsize, previse, prise, prize, remise, revise, rise, size, surmise, surprise, uprise, wise
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan