noun (plural dianthuses)
A flowering plant of a genus that includes the pinks and carnations.
- Genus Dianthus, family Caryophyllaceae
More example sentences
- Try ornamental kale and cabbage, Chinese cabbage, crinkle-leaf parsley, spinach, snapdragon and dianthus underplanted with spring-flowering bulbs.
- There are a number of cool-season vegetables to plant, along with flowers such as dianthus, petunias, snapdragons and violas.
- Other gardeners prefer to interplant them with spring flowers such as columbines, daisies, dianthus, Iceland poppies, lupines, and peonies.
from Greek Dios 'of Zeus' + anthos 'a flower'.
Definition of dianthus in:
- The British & World English dictionary