Definition of dianthus in English:
noun (plural dianthuses)
A flowering plant of a genus that includes the pinks and carnations.
- Genus Dianthus, family Caryophyllaceae
- Try ornamental kale and cabbage, Chinese cabbage, crinkle-leaf parsley, spinach, snapdragon and dianthus underplanted with spring-flowering bulbs.
- There are a number of cool-season vegetables to plant, along with flowers such as dianthus, petunias, snapdragons and violas.
- Other gardeners prefer to interplant them with spring flowers such as columbines, daisies, dianthus, Iceland poppies, lupines, and peonies.
From Greek Dios 'of Zeus' + anthos 'a flower'.
Words that rhyme with dianthusacanthus, agapanthus, clianthus, helianthus, polyanthus
Definition of dianthus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan