- A long, vertical pipe or plug formed when gas-filled magma forced its way up through overlying strata.More example sentences
- Various architectures connecting extrusive mud volcanic cones to their underlying source layer have been described, ranging from bulbous diapirs to steep diatremes and narrow vertical pipes.
- The only known igneous rocks in the area are Permian periodotite and lamprophyre dikes as well as diatremes of ultramafic composition associated with the Fluorite district.
- The Sloan deposits proved to be uneconomic and were closed; however, the Kelsey Lake diatremes in Colorado opened in 1996 with high expectations.
early 20th century: from dia- 'through' + Greek trēma 'perforation'.
More definitions of diatremeDefinition of diatreme in:
- The British & World English dictionary