Definition of dibs in English:
- Well, Artsfans, no longer will you have to schlepp down to Churchill Square or crook your dialing finger to lay dibs on tickets to that exquisite cultural event.
- My dibs are on him being some lame ABC type.
- On the off chance that they did, I'd like to remind them that I've got dibs on Attenborough and Harris.
mid 18th century (denoting pebbles used in a children's game): from earlier dib-stones, perhaps from dib.
have first dibs on
- Have the first right to or choice of: they never got first dibs on great prospectsMore example sentences
- When he realized seniors had first dibs on all the school equipment, Price convinced his parents to buy him a digital video camera, a top-of-the-line XLIS Cannon.
- Smiling to herself, she gloated silently in her triumph of being the first one in the kitchen; therefore having first dibs on all of the food.
- Let Joe have first dibs on that one for Question Period tomorrow.
Definition of dibs in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan