- Well, Artsfans, no longer will you have to schlepp down to Churchill Square or crook your dialing finger to lay dibs on tickets to that exquisite cultural event.
- My dibs are on him being some lame ABC type.
- On the off chance that they did, I'd like to remind them that I've got dibs on Attenborough and Harris.
have first dibs on
- informal Have the first right to or choice of: they never got first dibs on great prospectsMore example sentences
- When he realized seniors had first dibs on all the school equipment, Price convinced his parents to buy him a digital video camera, a top-of-the-line XLIS Cannon.
- Smiling to herself, she gloated silently in her triumph of being the first one in the kitchen; therefore having first dibs on all of the food.
- Let Joe have first dibs on that one for Question Period tomorrow.
Mid 18th century (denoting pebbles used in a children's game): from earlier dib-stones, perhaps from dib.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of dibs in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.