Definition of dichlorvos in English:
A pale yellow liquid used as an insecticide and veterinary anthelmintic.
- An organophosphorus compound; alternative name: 2,2-dichlorovinyl dimethyl phosphate; chemical formula: (CH3O)2PO2CHCCl2
- It is known commercially to treat salmon suffering from infestation with sea lice by the use of the insecticide dichlorvos.
- Ministers were advised last July to recall dozens of household insecticides containing the chemical dichlorvos, because of new evidence that it could cause cancer.
- Experiments in greenhouses and food storage areas show that 90 percent of the applied dichlorvos disappeared in three to six hours.
mid 20th century: from elements of the systematic name (see above).
Definition of dichlorvos in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan