Definition of dickcissel in English:
A sparrowlike North American songbird related to the cardinals, with a black-and-white throat and bright yellow breast.
- Spiza americana, family Emberizidae (subfamily Cardinalinae)
- Grasslands and prairies support a number of polygynous species as well, including meadowlarks, bobolinks, dickcissels, lark buntings, and great-tailed grackles.
- He's set up a network of 15 computerized monitoring stations that listen for dickcissels in flight.
- Henslow's sparrows were present in five of the six tracts and dickcissels present in all six.
Late 19th century: imitative of its call.
Definition of dickcissel in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan