1Government by a dictator: forty years of dictatorship
More example sentences
- Socialists defend the institutions of parliamentary democracy against dictatorship or fascism.
- This is not democracy, it is dictatorship, and it is borderline fascism.
- When I was growing up, I was taught that communism leads to dictatorship and capitalism leads inevitably to democracy.
1.1A country governed by a dictator.
- I would think that Socialists would oppose religious dictatorships and monarchies at the drop of a hat.
- Once they came to power they turned to totalitarian dictatorships.
- This was done in many ways, in particular by using pro-Western dictatorships during the Cold War period.
1.2Absolute authority in any sphere.
- It is the oppression and the absolute dictatorship and severe corruption which is producing this sort of circumstance.
- That outdated notion seems to have disappeared circa 1979 when Mrs Thatcher swept her elected dictatorship into power.
- What this creates, then, is teacher dominance that borders on dictatorship.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.