The caudal (posterior) part of the forebrain, containing the epithalamus, thalamus, hypothalamus, and ventral thalamus and the third ventricle. Compare with telencephalon.
- The latter includes the diencephalon; mesencephalon, or midbrain; pons; and medulla oblongata.
- The neurohypophysis, or posterior pituitary, is derived from an evagination of the infundibular portion of the diencephalon of the brain.
- From previous anatomical data, we hypothesize that the level of such actions is suprametameric, with strong implication of the diencephalon and cerebral cortex.
- Example sentences
- The red nucleus has been cleaned so that its larger, spherical mesencephalic part can be distinguished from the more rostral, ovoid diencephalic part.
- Transversal cut at the level of the anterior preoptic area showing ACTH-immunoreactivity cell groups around the diencephalic ventricle.
- He showed that electro-acupuncture stimulation can affect the diencephalic area of the brain, a region that promotes the body's own healing responses.
Late 19th century: from di-3 'across' + Greek enkephalos 'brain'.
Definition of diencephalon in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.