Definition of digestive in English:
1Of or relating to the process of digesting food: stomach ulcers and other digestive disorders
More example sentences
- These include increased blood pressure, cancers of the mouth and upper digestive system, cirrhosis of the liver, and pancreatic and other digestive disorders.
- Gastro-enterologists the world over attribute many of the chronic digestive disorders to the hurried swallowing of food, which may be over spiced or oily.
- An infusion made from the crushed foliage has cleansing and antiseptic properties and is used for soothing and healing skin wounds, and also as a remedy for certain digestive disorders.
1.1(Of food or medicine) aiding or promoting the process of digestion: digestive mints
More example sentences
- Peppermint is often gentler than other digestive herbs, such as ginger and cayenne; the aroma alone has a sedating and calming effect on many.
- The prescription is straight forward with blood tonics, spleen and digestive herbs, Tian Ma and Qiang Huo for the hair as well as Man Jing Zi.
- Omit it all together or try adding digestive herbs such as Chen Pi and Sha Ren.
nounBack to top
1A food or medicine that aids or promotes the digestion of food.
- After the meal came a much-appreciated dressed green salad that worked as a digestive.
- On May 27, the theme will be Strawberries and will include the chef's Table menu with several aperitifs, fine Bulgarian wines, digestives and coffee.
- The company is to launch a new Ayurvedic range that includes a whole range of products for treating cough and cold, memory enhancers, blood purifiers and digestives.
1.1 (also digestive biscuit) British A round, semisweet cookie made of wholewheat flour.
- But this, spotted today at about 3pm, really takes the digestive biscuit.
- Let cool to room temperature, and serve with shortbread cookies or digestive biscuits.
- If you eat two chocolate digestive biscuits, they cancel each other out.
- Example sentences
- An hour later, you return with something to appease your family both visually and digestively.
- Often, firefighters are called out in the middle of a meal, which is not digestively ideal.
- The normal physiological role for mesotrypsin is surmised to be to digestively degrade naturally occurring trypsin inhibitors found in food such as soybeans.
Definition of digestive in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia