nounchiefly Medicine & Physiology
1The action of dilating a vessel or opening or the process of becoming dilated.
- Interventional paediatric cardiology mainly involves dilatation of stenotic vessels or valves and occlusion of abnormal communications.
- Between 14 and 19 weeks of pregnancy, a process known as surgical dilatation and evacuation (often referred to as D & E) may be used.
- The overall rate of oesophageal perforation after flexible endoscopy involving oesophageal instrumentation, biopsy, or dilatation is 2.6%.
1.1A dilated part of a hollow organ or vessel.
- The best known and most extensively studied baroreceptors are those in the carotid sinuses, dilatations of the carotid arteries in the neck.
- The saccular or cystic form is the most severe type and is characterized by a ballooning of the bronchi with fluid-filled, sac-like dilatations.
Definition of dilatation in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.