- Anethum graveolens, family Umbelliferae
- Cool-season herbs including dill, fennel, parsley, cilantro, oregano, arugula, thyme and savory also can be planted.
- This family of plants is vast and contains some of our most popular herbs such as, dill, coriander, parsley and angelica as well as some common pot herbs, for example carrot, parsnips and celery.
- Caterpillars of the Black and Anise Swallowtail make their home on and eat the leaves from the parsley family that include fennel, angelica, dill and chervil.
Old English dile, dyle; related to Dutch dille and German Dill; of unknown ultimate origin.
Words that rhyme with dillbill, Brazil, brill, Camille, chill, cookchill, distil (US distill), downhill, drill, Edgehill, Estoril, fill, freewill, frill, fulfil (US fulfill), Gill, goodwill, grill, grille, hill, ill, instil, kill, krill, mil, mill, nil, Phil, pill, quadrille, quill, rill, Seville, shill, shrill, sill, skill, spadille, spill, squill, still, stock-still, swill, thill, thrill, till, trill, twill, until, uphill, will
Definition of dill in:
Entry from British & World English dictionary
nounAustralian /NZ informal
- If we cannot stop the dills from throwing away lit cigarettes, we could at least save the occasional fire by asking the shopkeepers to not stock magnifying glasses as toys.
- First we have journalists and politicians taking these views seriously and now we have the dills debating him!
- Screw up spectacularly just once and popular opinion will consign you to the cavalcade of history's bigger dills.
1940s: apparently a back-formation from dilly2.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.