noun (plural dillies)[usually in singular] North American informal
An excellent example of a particular type of person or thing: that’s a dilly of a breakfast recipe
More example sentences
- The nameless viewpoint racer is making 'one last run', and it's a dilly.
- At only $14.95 it's a dilly of a deal for this long sold-out series, previously available only in hardcover (if you could find it).
- This is their first effort to publish a shotshell reloading manual, and it's a dilly.
Words that rhyme with dillyBillie, billy, Chile, chilli (US chili), chilly, Dili, filly, frilly, ghillie, gillie, Gilly, hilly, Lillee, lily, Lyly, papillae, Philly, Piccadilly, piccalilli, silly, skilly, stilly, Tilly, willy-nilly
Definition of dilly in:
- British & World English dictionary
Entry from British & World English dictionary
adjective (dillier, dilliest)Australian /NZ informal , dated
- She'll get it dirty, get it trodden on, silly, dilly girl.
- ‘This is a double dilly sale,’ the youth desperately screams, then cocks his head in amazement of the sentence he just uttered.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.