Definition of dime store in English:
1A shop selling cheap merchandise (originally one where the maximum price was a dime).
- She seems to accept the seductive power of merchandise, whether it is for sale at the dime store or installed in galleries and museums.
- It is an American success story and it has grown from a humble dime store into the world's biggest retail chain, leaving other shopping icons far behind and that success has sparked controversy.
- The chain, they decided, would exude the mild pretension of a low-end department store rather than the folksiness of a high-end dime store.
1.1 [as modifier] Cheap and inferior: plastic dime-store toys
More example sentences
- And she had on this pair of really big, really ugly, really cheap, plastic, dime-store earrings.
- In a blinding flash he realised that the tiny, plastic ninja figures and other dime-store toys that were available all over New York were woefully under used as leading players in the classical theatre.
- She had on a pair of tacky dime-store cat eye sunglasses and a large, red hat with a feather sticking out of it; the hat she wore only a few times to prominent galas (unfortunately not the Pineapple Bay Ball).
Definition of dime store in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.