Definition of dimer in English:
A molecule or molecular complex consisting of two identical molecules linked together.
- Furthermore, there was no evidence of ethyl esters, dimers, alkanes or alkenes, which might be expected for an oxidative reaction.
- One explanation is the metal ions bind inside the dimer between the monomers of a double-helix.
- Molecular dimers are assumed to be not directly degraded.
1930s: from di-1 'two', on the pattern of polymer.
- Example sentences
- Previous work has shown that these polymerised forms are unstable in acid conditions (such as gastric juice) and that only monomeric, dimeric and trimeric forms are passed to the intestine for absorption.
- There was a previous radiation study of ricin, a dimeric molecule linked by a single disulfide bridge.
- In all cases the monomeric lipid molecule is virtually absent, dimeric or trimeric species predominating in each case.
Definition of dimer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan