verb[no object] Chemistry
Combine with a similar molecule to form a dimer: ClO dimerizes to form Cl2O2
More example sentences
- Most of the free probe had dimerized via disulfide bond cross-linking, yielding a spectrum with five lines and alternating linewidths.
- On the other hand, the viologen radical cation has a tendency to dimerize in a polar solution because of the poor hydrophilicity.
- Sulfonated phthalocyanines are well known to dimerize in aqueous solution.
- Example sentences
- Indeed these two polar amino acids can interact with orthosilicic acid present in marine aqueous solutions and favor silica dimerization.
- A key step in the calculation of the free energy of dimerization concerns the entropy loss upon bringing two monomer chains together to form the dimer.
- Another domain is usually responsible for dimerization or oligomerization of the transcription factor monomers.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of dimerize in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.