A single-celled organism with two flagella, occurring in large numbers in marine plankton and also found in fresh water. Some produce toxins that can accumulate in shellfish, resulting in poisoning when eaten.
- Division Dinophyta or class Dinophyceae, division Chromophycota (or phylum Dinophyta, kingdom Protista)
More example sentences
- Other unicellular organisms found include bacteria, cyanobacteria, dinoflagellates, and other protists.
- Ninety percent of all dinoflagellates are marine plankton.
- As with other peridinioid dinoflagellates, calcareous dinoflagellate cysts most likely all have an archeopyle restricted to the epicyst.
Definition of dinoflagellate in:
- The British & World English dictionary