- A rare mineral occurring as emerald green or blue-green crystals. It consists of a hydrated silicate of copper.More example sentences
- For digital photography, SoLux bulbs are perfect, yielding accurate rendition of difficult-to-photograph minerals such as dioptase and azurite.
- Many of the best Tsumeb cerussite, dioptase, azurite, smithsonite, and other specimens passed through his hands en route to some faraway collection.
- Tantara dioptase occurs well crystallized with quartz, plancheite, shattuckite, fornacite, and chrysocolla.
early 19th century: from French, formed irregularly from Greek dioptos 'transparent'.
More definitions of dioptaseDefinition of dioptase in:
- The British & World English dictionary