- 1A highly toxic compound produced as a byproduct in some manufacturing processes, notably herbicide production and paper bleaching. It is a serious and persistent environmental pollutant.
More example sentences
- A heterocyclic organochlorine compound; alternative name: 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzoparadioxin (abbreviation: TCDD); chemical formula: C12H4O2Cl4
- Activists also charge that inappropriate operation of incinerators creates not only air pollution but also toxic dioxin.
- He discussed how the manufacture of PVC creates the unwanted byproduct of dioxin, a potent carcinogen.
- That view is shared by the usually mild US Environmental Protection Agency following their extensive three-year study that proved dioxin to be more toxic than had originally been believed.
- 1.1Any of the class of compounds to which dioxin belongs.More example sentences
- He said that when you burn any organic matter, which contains chlorine and organic carbon, you get dioxins.
- They have excavated more than 100,000 cubic metres of fill contaminated with heavy metals, hydrocarbons and dioxins.
- Other residents will just burn the rubbish in their garden spreading dioxins and other noxious chemicals throughout the countryside.
More definitions of dioxinDefinition of dioxin in:
- The British & World English dictionary