noun (plural diplococci /-ˈkäk(s)ī, -(s)ē/)
- A bacterium that occurs as pairs of cocci, e.g., pneumococcus.More example sentences
- If the smear shows Gram negative intracellular diplococci, the patient is treated for gonorrhoea and chlamydia to cover the possibility of a mixed infection.
- Dexamethasone therapy should be continued following test results only if gram-positive diplococci are found in the CSF Gram stain, or if cultures reveal Streptococcus pneumoniae.
- Shortly before he left, however, a call from an excited microbiologist confirmed the presence of Gram negative diplococci in both blood and cerebrospinal fluid culture.
More definitions of diplococcusDefinition of diplococcus in:
- The British & World English dictionary