Definition of dipper in English:
1A short-tailed songbird related to the wrens, frequenting fast-flowing streams and able to swim, dive, and walk under water to feed.
- Family Cinclidae and genus Cinclus: five species, in particular the Eurasian (white-throated) dipper (C. cinclus)
- Swallows were chasing insects over the water and I watched dippers and grey wagtails feeding their young.
- In fall and winter, look for bald eagles, American dippers, mergansers, red-shafted Northern flickers, red-tailed hawks, and Townsend's solitaires.
- The dipper takes prey from the water's surface while swimming, and will even use its wings to ‘fly’ under water.
Definition of dipper in:
- British & World English dictionary