Definition of dipsomania in English:
Alcoholism, specifically in a form characterized by intermittent bouts of craving for alcohol.
- But for Blairites to attack Brown for networking, briefing the press and installing placemen is a little like an alcoholic accusing a social drinker of dipsomania.
- When he sings about his marauding dipsomania and the opposite sex tearing his heart from his body, then stamping and twisting their heel into his hyper-sensitive organ on the squalid street, it rings true.
- He died of drink - not the social drinking which leads so often to ruin here - but the fiery, passionate dipsomania which is a common disease even in the very best circles of the Scandinavian countries.
- Example sentences
- When all the local timber was harvested, the loggers would move on, leaving their ramshackles behind, and by 1915 skid row came to mean a cheap, disreputable district, usually populated by dives and dipsomaniacs.
- Danny was downbeat and self-absorbed, reeling from one personal incident to the next like a ship without a compass, and his friends were a mixed bunch of dipsomaniacs and egotists.
- At the tube a group of dipsomaniacs chose to come to a halt right in front of ticket barrier I was trying to get through.
- Example sentences
- In that time, he's chronicled the carnage of teenage psychopaths and femme fatales, dipsomaniacal tramps and millionaire dope fiends.
- But although New Yorkers tell tales about great aunts and dipsomaniacal uncles carried off to Bellevue, and the guides on Circle Line tour boats describe it as a mental institution, Bellevue is a general hospital.
- This prefigured emerging gendered notions of intemperance which regarded drunkenness as basically a male vice that afflicted women through the abuse visited upon them by dipsomaniacal husbands and fathers.
Pronunciation: /ˌdipsəˈmānēˌak/ /ˌdipsōˈmānēˌak/noun
Mid 19th century: from Greek dipso- (from dipsa 'thirst') + -mania.
Words that rhyme with dipsomaniaAlbania, balletomania, bibliomania, crania, egomania, erotomania, kleptomania, Lithuania, Lusitania, mania, Mauritania, megalomania, miscellanea, monomania, nymphomania, Pennsylvania, Pomerania, pyromania, Rainier, Romania, Ruritania, Tasmania, Transylvania, Urania
Definition of dipsomania in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.