Definition of dirigisme in English:
State control of economic and social matters.
- The collapse of communism finally undid socialist dirigisme.
- At the heart of Europe's reticence to follow the USA into the information free-for-all is a curious mixture of Continental, right wing dirigisme and social democratic, anti - market prejudice.
- Examples of active industrial policy range from the French tradition of indicative economic planning or dirigisme to the various degrees of government support and direction in East Asia.
- Example sentences
- Substantial middle and upper middle income groups have emerged, but in most developing countries they are thwarted by dirigiste policies that limit personal freedom and economic opportunities.
- Neoclassical orthodoxy provided the intellectual foundations of a collectivist - or at any rate an interventionist and dirigiste - political consensus.
- His political legacy, originally intended to be tighter integration of Britain into Europe, now looks like becoming the disengagement of Britain from a federalist, dirigiste, protectionist monolith.
Pronunciation: /ˌdiriˈZHēst, ˌdirē-/adjective
Words that rhyme with dirigismebesom
Definition of dirigisme in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan