Definition of disconformity in English:
noun (plural disconformities)
1Lack of conformity.
- The passages from the specification set out above do not demonstrate any disconformity.
- But even if it is construing ambiguous legislation, one takes into account that we are not going to be in disconformity with our international obligations unless it is clear.
- However, disconformity of practice with constitutional requirements is no inhibition against truly expounding the text and implications of the Constitution.
2 Geology A break in a sedimentary sequence that does not involve a difference of inclination between the strata on each side of the break. Compare with unconformity.
- Unconformities vary in type from disconformities related to subaerial exposure to stratigraphic gaps of variable extent and their correlative paraconformities, followed by deepening surfaces.
- Nodules rich in phosphatic material are found in residual accumulations along disconformities, such as bone beds or lag deposits in marine limestones and shales.
- More specific questions might relate to taphonomic conditions, identification and temporal assessment of disconformities, or the nature of specific anthropogenic sediments.
Definition of disconformity in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India