- 1Break the connection of or between: take all violence out of television drama and you disconnect it from realityMore example sentences
- For a comedian, her intensity is almost humourless, like she's partially disconnected, operating on a slightly different plane.
- In addition, fire hoses in the residence hall were disconnected and partially dismantled because the equipment was outdated.
- The people who are involved in this operation are under investigation by council officials and will be required to disconnect their illegal connections or face prosecution.
- 1.1Take (an electrical device) out of action by detaching it from a power supply.More example sentences
- If your aircraft is intact after an event, and you need the data from the device, remove or disconnect the power plugs before applying any electrical power to the aircraft.
- The occupant was evacuated while electrical engineers disconnected the power, allowing the firefighters to enter.
- The circulating nurse covers the patient with warm blankets and works with the anesthesia care provider to disconnect the monitoring devices.
- 1.2Interrupt or terminate (a telephone conversation) by breaking the connection: that might explain why her call got disconnected mid-expletiveMore example sentences
- The mystery caller abruptly disconnected their conversation.
- With a click, Haley disconnected herself from the conversation.
- Ford disconnected the telephone line and reactivated the radio link.
- 1.3Terminate the connection of (a household) to water, electricity, gas, or telephone, typically because of nonpayment of bills.More example sentences
- In 1994 12, 500 households were disconnected from water supplies because they couldn't pay.
- Hundreds of thousands of customers have been disconnected for non-payment of bills, something that was illegal before privatisation.
- The corporatisation of basic services has meant that millions have been disconnected from water and electricity.
nounBack to top
- A discrepancy or lack of connection: there can be a disconnect between boardrooms and IT departments when it comes to technologyMore example sentences
- There are connects and disconnects between those of us who want peace.
- My original gripe was with the lack of diversity and the total disconnect of the media with its public.
- I guess I felt a general disconnect with life and with myself around that time.
- More example sentences
- I'm just comfortable with the illusions of separateness and disconnection that the headphones provide.
- The inspector should also check chimneys and flues for blockages, corrosion, partial and complete disconnections, and loose connections.
- Although a number of hotels currently offer this type of internet connection as well, you will frequently find that occasional fees and disconnections may occur.