1North American another term for discount store.
- They are owners of the nation's largest steel works, travel agency, brick factory, discount house, auto dealership and computer software firm.
- The night before we left on our vacation at Grand Beach Michigan, I dreamt of seeing a large maroon discount house and also a concrete bridge near an old railroad crossing.
- It goes for a little under a hundred bucks at most discount houses and it seems like quite a bargain.
2British A company that buys and sells bills of exchange.
- A clearing giant differs in its structure, business activities, and orientation from a discount house or a merchant bank.
- Prior to the outbreak of World War I in 1914 world trade was financed through real bill circulation with London acting as the discount house on a remarkably small gold base.
- Furthermore, there would only be a limited period of time within which it would be reasonably foreseeable that a bank or discount house would rely upon a given set of audited accounts.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: dis·count house
Definition of discount house in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.