Definition of discriminator in English:
1A characteristic that enables things, people, or classes to be distinguished from one another: age should not be used as a primary discriminator in recruitment
More example sentences
- A multiclass SVM architecture was designed to place less discriminatory load on weaker discriminators, and novel SVM kernels were used to boost discrimination strength.
- ‘One of the most important discriminators now is how much money, and how much buying power, people have got,’ said the chief executive of a branding consultancy.
- With competition proliferating across all sectors and offerings becoming standardised, the only apparent discriminators remaining are price and service.
2 Electronics A circuit or device that only produces an output when the input exceeds a fixed value.
- A phase discriminator samples the output of the oscillator and accumulates data representing the duty cycle of that signal.
- In general, the present invention provides a pair of correlators that operate on a set of samples output by a discriminator.
- The output of this unit was amplified and passed through a discriminator.
2.1A circuit that converts a frequency-modulated signal into an amplitude-modulated one.
- The frequency demodulation provided by the electronic discriminator found in every FM radio is precisely the process needed to recover the molecular velocity signal.
- Further, the radio includes a single discriminator circuit wherein, in the FM mode, the discriminator tank circuit is used to convert frequency deviation to baseband audio and, in the AM mode, the discriminator tank circuit is used as the frequency-determining element for the voltage controlled oscillator.
- This discriminator simply works on the principal that with no modulation applied to the carrier there is no output at the detector.
Definition of discriminator in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia