- Clean (something) with a disinfectant in order to destroy bacteria: he disinfected and dressed the cut on his foreheadMore example sentences
- Destroy badly diseased plants, and thoroughly clean and disinfect their containers before reusing them.
- Today doctors use medicinal maggots to clean wounds by dissolving dead tissue and to disinfect them by killing bacteria.
- And once you bring home your new pet, you need to be ready for years of daily food preparation, cleaning and disinfecting the cage.
- More example sentences
- Precautions for droplet infection should be instituted, including the wearing of masks and rigorous disinfection and hygiene procedures.
- Chemicals have been used for disinfection and sterilization in the perioperative environment for decades.
- The items should be cleaned as soon as possible after use and thoroughly dried before disinfection or sterilization.
late 16th century (in the sense 'rid of infection'): from French désinfecter, from dés- (expressing reversal) + infecter 'to infect'.