Definition of disinfect in English:
Clean (something) with a disinfectant in order to destroy bacteria: he disinfected and dressed the cut on his forehead
More example sentences
- Destroy badly diseased plants, and thoroughly clean and disinfect their containers before reusing them.
- Today doctors use medicinal maggots to clean wounds by dissolving dead tissue and to disinfect them by killing bacteria.
- And once you bring home your new pet, you need to be ready for years of daily food preparation, cleaning and disinfecting the cage.
late 16th century (in the sense 'rid of infection'): from French désinfecter, from dés- (expressing reversal) + infecter 'to infect'.
- Example sentences
- Precautions for droplet infection should be instituted, including the wearing of masks and rigorous disinfection and hygiene procedures.
- Chemicals have been used for disinfection and sterilization in the perioperative environment for decades.
- The items should be cleaned as soon as possible after use and thoroughly dried before disinfection or sterilization.