- 1Break up into small parts, typically as the result of impact or decay: when the missile struck, the car disintegrated in a sheet of searing flameMore example sentences
break up, break apart, fall apart, fall to pieces, fragment, fracture, shatter, splinter; explode, blow up, blow apart, fly apart; crumble, deteriorate, decay, decompose, rot, molder, perish, dissolve, collapse, go to rack and ruin, degenerate; photodegrade• informal bust, be smashed to smithereens
- It was rotten and decayed and completely disintegrated on impact.
- Although the articles we created from plywood have long since disintegrated through woodworm and decay, memories of our early lives and our innocent preoccupation remain constant.
- The boat then disintegrated on impact with the water.
- 1.1(Of a society, family, or other social group) weaken or break apart: the marriage disintegrated amid allegations that she was having an affairMore example sentences
- Families and communities disintegrate under the crushing burden of drug addiction.
- Many have disconnected from their society as communities disintegrate, partly because few have the time to contribute to their local community and build local support systems.
- When government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates, and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies.
- 1.2 Physics Undergo or cause to undergo disintegration at a subatomic level: [no object]: a meson can spontaneously disintegrate [with object]: it has become a relatively easy matter to disintegrate almost any atomMore example sentences
- They suggested that the atoms of a radioactive element disintegrate spontaneously to form atoms of another element.
- Alpha radiation is the stream of alpha particles emitted when radioactive materials disintegrate.
- Alpha decay occurs when an atomic nucleus disintegrates by emitting alpha particles.
- More example sentences
- Under what conditions does populism temper the potential ethnicity to provoke disintegrative social conflict, and instead promote pluralist democracy?
- Many complain they can get no treatment of any kind from the NHS for their children and that is particularly for those children with the most distressing disintegrative disorders.
- The strategy offered here was how to fit in, certainly not to create a new space and voice for women in the light of the socially disintegrative violence of the civil war.
- More example sentences
- These are the wreckers of outworn empires and civilizations, doubters, disintegrators, deicides.
- Lasers, phasers, disintegrators, particle disruptors - these were the predictions for future warfare held by the ancients.
- Cholesterol was added to the diet by homogenizing the insoluble cholesterol with an ultrasonic disintegrator or preparing gelatin/acacia microcapsules with and without cholesterol using triolein as a carrier.