Definition of disown in English:
Refuse to acknowledge or maintain any connection with: Howard’s rich family had disowned him because of his marriage
More example sentences
- One man was disowned by his family when he married a woman they didn't approve of.
- About the same time his family disowned him and he was stripped of his Saudi citizenship.
- Family members would disown you if they knew you watched it.
- Example sentences
- For information about how the comics community and Alan Moore (writer and disillusioned disowner of the original graphic novel) is reacting… check Comic Book Resources.
- A man who should attempt a perfect exploration of the human frame by a survey purely of its cutaneous and muscular surfaces, having first carefully cut the nerves that conduct to the battery, and convey the wonderful, incomprehensible spiritual electricity of the brain, would succeed as well as do such disowners of all creation's commencing and design.
- To make matters worse, the Morning Star published only the unofficial condemnation, and not the original official release or the general secretary's subsequent disowner.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan