- Prove that (something) is false: he has given the Department of Transportation two months to disprove the allegationMore example sentences
- In that case, such a hypothesis would then have to withstand the rigors of both scientific method (empirically testing and proving or disproving the hypothesis) and peer review.
- It is understood that DNA and other tests carried out in the immediate aftermath of the killing are central to proving or disproving the main line of the inquiry being pursued by the 40-strong team.
- This isn't such a big problem for science or engineering types, as of course there are real-world criteria for proving or disproving a theory or criticising a methodology.
- More example sentences
- Ann Coulter says something so dumb, so obviously disprovable, it's like she doesn't get that the rules have changed.
- All recognized and accepted scientific theories are disprovable.
- Charitably, I think it's fair to say that he's telling huge and easily disprovable fibs.
late Middle English: from Old French desprover.