- He is losing public sympathy, not out of revulsion over his dissolute private life, but rather as a result of allegations that he abused his office to secure perks for his lovers, including a visa for his mistress's nanny.
- I think this album is tremendous in several places, in fact; a messy, dissolute record that pulls off the stunt of being musically emotionally open while lyrically open to interpretation.
- But the dissolute West presents another - and who knows?
- Example sentences
- Their suffering is generally caused by adults: a parent has died, or run off, or otherwise acted irresponsibly, drunkenly, selfishly, dissolutely.
- I dissolutely admit that veracious men with mediocre vocations make great friends but it's those carnivorous corporate men with hefty expense accounts that somehow get my hormones raging.
- Others might grow poor squandering resources by living dissolutely.
- Example sentences
- These radicals despise the West for what they consider the immorality, depravity, and dissoluteness of its mass culture.
- In such circumstances, it was only to be expected that Christ College in the nineteenth century had a certain reputation for dissoluteness among its staff.
- The slave states, were marked by ‘the unequal distribution of property, the toleration of slavery, the ignorance and poverty of the lower classes,’ and a ‘dissoluteness of manners.’
Late Middle English: from Latin dissolutus 'disconnected, loose', from the verb dissolvere (see dissolve).
solve from Late Middle English:
The early senses of solve were ‘loosen, dissolve, untie’; the source is Latin solvere ‘loosen, unfasten’. Other words sharing this base are late Middle English soluble and solution, and mid 17th century solvent. From the same Latin root come absolve (Late Middle English) ‘loosen from’; dissolve (Late Middle English) ‘loosen apart’; dissolute (Late Middle English) of loose morals; and resolve (Late Middle English) ‘thoroughly loosen’.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.