(chiefly British also disulphide)
Definition of disulfide in English:
1A sulfide containing two atoms of sulfur in its molecule or empirical formula.
- Molybdenum disulfide is all the rage in rifles right now.
- Solid lubricants such as soap, molybdenum disulphide or graphite are preferred to mineral oils and greases.
- Phosphorothioate modification was obtained using tetraethylthiuram disulfide for 15 min at room temperature as recommended by Applied Biosystems.
1.1An organic compound containing the group —S—S— bonded to other groups.
- Disulfide bond formation is a common consequence of oxidative stress in cellular proteins.
- When cysteine mutations are performed on the participating residues, spontaneous disulfide bond formation is observed.
- The native structure of lysozyme contains both a-helical and beta-sheet domains, including four disulfide bonds.
Definition of disulfide in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan