(chiefly British also disulphide)
Definition of disulfide in English:
1A sulfide containing two atoms of sulfur in its molecule or empirical formula.
- Molybdenum disulfide is all the rage in rifles right now.
- Solid lubricants such as soap, molybdenum disulphide or graphite are preferred to mineral oils and greases.
- Phosphorothioate modification was obtained using tetraethylthiuram disulfide for 15 min at room temperature as recommended by Applied Biosystems.
1.1An organic compound containing the group —S—S— bonded to other groups.
- Disulfide bond formation is a common consequence of oxidative stress in cellular proteins.
- When cysteine mutations are performed on the participating residues, spontaneous disulfide bond formation is observed.
- The native structure of lysozyme contains both a-helical and beta-sheet domains, including four disulfide bonds.
Definition of disulfide in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.