Definition of disulfiram in English:
A synthetic compound used in the treatment of alcoholics to make drinking alcohol produce unpleasant aftereffects. Also called Antabuse ( trademark ).
- Alternative name: tetraethylthiuram disulfide; chemical formula: (C2H5)2NCSSCN(C2H5)2
- The rationale for disulfiram in treating alcoholism is that most alcoholics taking disulfiram will not drink for fear of getting sick.
- Occasionally the modestly toxic disulfiram (Antabuse ®) is useful.
- Consuming alcohol after taking disulfiram results in symptoms such as palpitations, flushing, nausea, vomiting, and headache.
Definition of disulfiram in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.