Definition of dittany in English:
Any of a number of aromatic herbaceous or shrubby plants.
- ● (also dittany of Crete) A dwarf shrub with white woolly leaves and pink flowers, native to Crete and Greece (Origanum dictamnus, family Labiatae). ● (also American dittany) An American herb used in cooking and herbal medicine (genus Cunila, family Labiatae). ● another term for gas plant
- Below them grow low-growing shrubs and ground covers, such as azaleas, dittany of Crete, ferns, and junipers.
- Several of these - sage, rosemary, thyme, horsebalm and mountain dittany - are rich in thymol and carvacrol, compounds that help muscles relax.
- Another interesting plant was Cunda origanoides (dittany), seen by many of the participants, including the trip leader, for the first time.
Definition of dittany in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia