Definition of divergent in English:
1Tending to be different or develop in different directions: divergent interpretations varieties of English can remain astonishingly divergent from one another
More example sentences
- The procedures of the Japanese trial were grossly divergent from American legal standards of due process.
- The virtues sought in a deputy are sometimes quite divergent from those sought in a leader.
- They are also divergent from SCRs of the group 1 proteins.
1.1 Psychology (Of thought) using a variety of premises, especially unfamiliar premises, as bases for inference, and avoiding common limiting assumptions in making deductions.
- I am no commie, but I do recognize the role played by a divergent thought.
- Stories like Neon Genesis Evangelion push the creative envelope, and I appreciate them for their weirdness and divergent thought.
- Hopefully it will be a place to find new voices, divergent thoughts, and something worth thinking about or laughing at once in a while.
2 Mathematics (Of a series) increasing indefinitely as more of its terms are added.
- Continuing his mathematical work Ramanujan studied continued fractions and divergent series in 1908.
- In 1873 he gave a continuous function with divergent Fourier series at any point solving a major problem.
- He found a divergent series, the first few terms of which gave a good approximation to the integral.
- Example sentences
- There exists wide divergency as to what form of future human life we have to encourage.
- A London journalist has summed up the divergencies of the eight teams concerned in the current cup ties in this way.
- There will always be divergencies of opinion but there is over half a century of close co-operation on which to build.
- Example sentences
- I write because I seek to get people to stop thinking in ‘solid categories’, to think divergently and to question even the questions.
- Where their weaknesses will show up is in the world of work when they prove unable to think divergently.
- Seeking to be original and to think divergently are diamond assets that are not very common.