noun (plural diverticula /-lə/)Anatomy & Zoology
- 1A blind tube leading from a cavity or passage.More example sentences
- The dorsal diverticulum becomes the body and tail, and the ventral diverticulum becomes the head.
- 1.1 Medicine An abnormal sac or pouch formed at a weak point in the wall of the alimentary tract.More example sentences
- A urethral diverticula is usually identified as a distal bulge under the urethra.
- Saccular diverticula of the laryngeal ventricle are often reported.
- Bacterial colonization of the airways leads to further inflammation and the formation of diverticula in the bronchial tree.
early 19th century: from medieval Latin, variant of Latin deverticulum 'byway', from devertere 'turn down or aside'.
More definitions of diverticulumDefinition of diverticulum in:
- The British & World English dictionary