Definition of divi-divi in English:
noun (plural divi-divis)
1A tropical American tree of the pea family, bearing curled pods.
- Caesalpinia coriaria, family Leguminosae
- There is an indigenous tree, the divi-divi, which has a slightly peculiar response to the wind.
- We were pondering just that question in September 1998 while relaxing beneath the windblown divi-divi trees in Aruba.
- Thanks to constant trade winds, the divi-divis serve as a natural compass: they're bent toward the island's leeward - or western - side, where most of the hotels are.
1.1The pods of the divi-divi tree, used as a source of tannin.
- Divi-divi pods are used in the tanning industry as a substitute for sumac and oak gall apples.
- 'Divi-divi' pods appear to have been used by the inhabitants of. Central American countries from very early times for local tanning and for dyeing.
Mid 19th century: via American Spanish from Carib.
Definition of divi-divi in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.