Definition of diving beetle in English:
A predatory water beetle that has fringed back legs for swimming and stores air under its wing cases while diving.
- Family Dytiscidae: numerous genera and species, including the great diving beetle (Dytiscus marginalis)
- A pond is a little world in itself, he says, home to a dizzying array of creatures from frogs and newts to water boatmen, diving beetles, dragonflies and damselflies.
- Predatory insects, such as dragonfly nymphs and diving beetles, may help mitigate bullfrog populations.
- There are some 500 different kinds of predaceous diving beetles in North America, and the largest grow to an inch and a half.
Definition of diving beetle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India