- A stocky auklike seabird of southern oceans, having black upper parts and white underparts.
More example sentences
- Family Pelecanoididae and genus Pelecanoides: four species, in particular the common (or northern) diving petrel (P. urinatrix)
- Albatross, cape pigeons, diving petrels, monymawks, mottled petrels, and sooty shearwaters all took their turns skimming our bow wave for fish.
- Morphologically, the diving petrels resemble northern auks much more than they resemble other procellariiform birds.
- As expected groups such as the albatrosses, diving petrels, gadfly petrels, prions, and shearwaters were all monophyletic.