Definition of dobsonfly in English:
noun (plural dobsonflies)
A large gray North American winged insect related to the alderflies. Its predatory aquatic larva (the hellgrammite) is often used as fishing bait.
- Family Corydalidae, order Neuroptera: several genera and species, in particular Corydalus cornutus
- Eastern dobsonflies live east of the Rocky Mountains in the United States and Canada.
- Whereas, the aquatic immature spends several years in a stream, the adult dobsonfly lives only about 7 days.
- Fishflies and dobsonflies are nocturnal, while alderflies are active during the day.
early 20th century: of unknown origin.
Definition of dobsonfly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan