- The highest degree awarded by a graduate school or other approved educational organization: a doctorate in ClassicsMore example sentences
- He was awarded five honorary doctorates by universities, two in the US and three in Britain.
- His most recent visit was last year, when he was awarded an honorary doctorate from the University of York.
- In the following year he was awarded an honorary doctorate by the University of Pisa.
mid 17th century: from medieval Latin doctoratus 'made a doctor'.
More definitions of doctorateDefinition of doctorate in:
- The British & World English dictionary