Tremble or totter, typically because of old age: spent and nerve-weary, I doddered into the foyer of a third-rate hotel (as adjective doddering) that doddering old fool
More example sentences
- The Levi's name has grown into doddering old age in a brutally competitive apparel market.
- They come on Uncle Junior's recommendation, but they prove to be doddering old fools with bad or no eyesight.
- He is famous for doddering around with a camera crew in tow, picking up strange slithery beasts that look like they might bite him and poking sticks at them.
Early 17th century: variant of obsolete dialect dadder; related to dither.
- Example sentences
- Often dismissed as wrinklies and fogeys, dodderers and ditherers, it turns out that the company's target audience are, in fact, among the biggest consumers in the country.
- A government member labelled the retired military chiefs & diplomats as old dodderers.
- I have yet to discover that having been born when Cal Coolidge was gearing up to run for re-election confers any eminence upon this dodderer.
- Example sentences
- It was regarded as a family firm - a bit slow and doddery but a caring and kind place to work.
- The difference is that now they have weak-kneed, wobbly, doddery leadership and they are falling over.
- He's a bit slower physically but he's not doddery, so I decided not to go that way with Cecil.
Words that rhyme with dodderfodder, plodder, prodder
A widely distributed parasitic climbing plant of the morning glory family, with leafless threadlike stems that are attached to the host plant by means of suckers.
- Genus Cuscuta, family Convolvulaceae
- Eventually a mat of stems forms around the host plant and the dodder loses contact with the soil.
- By tying suitable stem explants of dodder to touch the host, Kelly observed that 60% of individuals rejected suitable hosts within several hours.
- Because C. arvensis is more closely related to the dodders than is tobacco, C. arvensis was also used as a control.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan