Definition of dog cockle in English:
A burrowing bivalve mollusk that has a highly convex, almost spherical, shell.
- Family Glycimeridae: many species, including the European Glycymeris glycymeris
- Note the brown colour of the dog cockles, indicating that the sand is polluted by mud.
- Coarse gravels and sands are home to sea-cucumbers and dog cockles, largely buried for protection, and tough sea-mats, able to withstand the scouring of water-borne sand.
- Further north in the lough the waters slow and coarse submarine sand dunes are inhabited by a type of sea-cucumber and dog cockles.
Definition of dog cockle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.