- A scentless wild violet, typically having purple or lilac flowers.
More example sentences
- Genus Viola, family Violaceae: several species, in particular V. conspersa of eastern North America
- In the drier parts of the reserve, where common dog violets grow beneath bracken, the microclimate is ideal for the caterpillars of small, pearl-bordered fritillary.
- Spring flowers to notice include primrose and cowslips in hedgerows, bluebells, snowdrops and dog violets in woodlands and lady's smock and marsh marigold in wetland areas.
- Flowers such as wild thyme, dog violets and rest harrows grow in grassy areas on sand dunes, whilst yellow horned poppy and sea pea grow on the vegetated areas of shingle.
More definitions of dog violetDefinition of dog violet in:
- The British & World English dictionary