Definition of dogfish in English:
noun (plural same or dogfishes)
1A small sand-colored bottom-dwelling shark with a long tail, common on European coasts.
- Scyliorhinus canicula, family Scyliorhinidae
- Eleven of these are of the shark variety, who live in blissful harmony with stingrays, thornback rays, conger eels and dogfish, to name but a few.
- Lesser spotted dogfish are amongst the most common bottom dwelling fish in many areas and can be a real nuisance when trying to catch more desirable species.
- In some areas small skates and dogfish (a small shark species) appear to have taken over the cod's niche in the ecosystem.
2 [with modifier] A small shark that resembles or is related to the dogfish, sometimes caught for food.
- Several genera in the families Scyliorhinidae, Squalidae, and Triakidae
- Among the smallest shark species is the deepwater dogfish shark.
- In particular, the isolation of separate bullfrog and dogfish shark gastrin- and CCKlike peptides suggests that gastrin evolved much earlier than originally hypothesized.
- Further work is needed to establish whether the homologous CCK and gastrin act as separate peptides in dogfish sharks.
Definition of dogfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan