noun (plural dolphinariums or dolphinaria /-ˈne(ə)rēə/)
- An aquarium in which dolphins are kept and trained for public entertainment.More example sentences
- Atlantic bottlenose dolphins are among the best-known to the public, from appearances in films and dolphinariums.
- The proposed and controversial project to build a dolphinarium has been axed, in large part due to pressure its critics brought on those holding the purse-strings, animal rights groups say.
- On the other hand, terrestrial species are more often domesticated, while only a few marine species are tamed, mainly in zoos, dolphinaria or so called ‘Sea Worlds’.
1960s: from dolphin, on the pattern of oceanarium.
More definitions of dolphinariumDefinition of dolphinarium in:
- The British & World English dictionary