Definition of done in English:
past participle of do1.
verbUS informal Back to top
adjectiveBack to top
1(Of food) cooked thoroughly: the turkey will be done soon
More example sentences
- Drain each batch as it is done and eat whilst cooking the next batch.
- Curl up in front of the TV with your own bowl of this much-loved comfort food favourite, done my way.
- If food is not done when you take it out of the oven you can always return it to the oven for additional time.
cooked (through), ready
2 informal Socially acceptable: therapy was not the done thing then
More example sentences
- It is not the done thing to listen to music through headphones.
- He has worked in the media for more than twenty years, and he knows, or should know, the way the world is now and what is not the done thing.
- He's assured me that it's not the done thing to drink at lunchtime these days, but I'm not so sure.
exclamationBack to top
a done deal
- An agreement that has been finalized.Example sentences
- We are assuming it's a done deal, in the way they're talking and presenting their plans.
- Even now, when the cat is out of the bag, they still want to brush aside reasoned argument and hide the project from public scrutiny until it's a done deal.
- Also we were told that it was a done deal, although it was only a plan at that stage and consultation was to take place.
- informal In a situation so bad that it is impossible to get out: if he gets them, we’ll all be done forMore example sentences
- At the end of the fifth book about the schoolboy spy, we thought our young hero was done for.
- We thought it was done for but then after much jumping up and down and sand throwing we unbeached it.
- informal Extremely tired: you look done in
over and done with
- see over.
Words that rhyme with donebegun, bun, Donne, dun, fine-spun, forerun, fun, gun, Gunn, hon, Hun, none, nun, one, one-to-one, outdone, outgun, outrun, plus-one, pun, run, shun, son, spun, stun, sun, ton, tonne, tun, underdone, Verdun, won
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan