nounBack to top
1The deep resonant sound of a large bell.
- Annabelle finished the sonnet with one soft rippling sound on the higher notes and then a single dong of two of the lowest.
- He suddenly awoke when he heard 3 dongs of the town's bell that meant trouble.
- We lay for a while before starting breakfast, warm in our bags, savouring the view and at the same time listening to the donging reverberations of a bellbird calling his good-morning song.
late 16th century: imitative.
The basic monetary unit of Vietnam, equal to 100 xu.
- For example, in Vietnam, $1 equals 15,700 dong.
- According to the report, he said the project will cost about 82 billion dong (5.85 million dollars) and will be covered by the budgets of the central and local governments.
- In December, Vietnam will host the 22nd version of the South-East Asian Games, which is exacted to cost Vietnam about 411 billion dong.
from Vietnamese dông 'coin'.