nounBack to top
1The deep resonant sound of a large bell.
- Annabelle finished the sonnet with one soft rippling sound on the higher notes and then a single dong of two of the lowest.
- He suddenly awoke when he heard 3 dongs of the town's bell that meant trouble.
- We lay for a while before starting breakfast, warm in our bags, savouring the view and at the same time listening to the donging reverberations of a bellbird calling his good-morning song.
Late 16th century: imitative.
Words that rhyme with dongalong, belong, bong, chaise longue, Geelong, gong, Guangdong, Haiphong, Heilong, Hong Kong, Jong, King Kong, long, mah-jong, Mao Zedong, Mekong, nong, pong, prolong, sarong, Shillong, song, souchong, strong, thong, throng, tong, Vietcong, wrong
The basic monetary unit of Vietnam, equal to 100 xu.
- For example, in Vietnam, $1 equals 15,700 dong.
- According to the report, he said the project will cost about 82 billion dong (5.85 million dollars) and will be covered by the budgets of the central and local governments.
- In December, Vietnam will host the 22nd version of the South-East Asian Games, which is exacted to cost Vietnam about 411 billion dong.
From Vietnamese dông 'coin'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan