- 1A subject or theme of a narrative.More example sentences
- The writer is granted ‘his subject, his idea, his donnée ’.
- Your poems are intensely private and confessional, if that's the word, and yet at the same time they are written as if to deny readers access to the donnée or actual ‘situation’ giving rise to the poem.
- But, even if the play is based on too many draconian données, it has its own chill gallows humour.
late 19th century: French, literally 'given'.
More definitions of donnéeDefinition of donnée in:
- The British & World English dictionary