Definition of doubleton in English:
1(In card games, especially bridge) a pair of cards that are the only cards of their suit in a hand.
- In a trump contract, the play of a higher card followed by a lower one may be made from a doubleton, indicating a desire to ruff, rather than just from a holding including a high card.
1.1A pair of people or things.
- The difference in sign of Tajima's D for each locus separately suggests a slight excess of singletons and doubletons in the North Carolina population, although this is not significant.
- The distribution of singletons, doubletons (low frequency variants), and other (high frequency) variants among the continents was investigated.
- We excluded singletons and doubletons and compared the following seven sites in order: M1046, M1312, M1414, M4325, A2144, A3203, and A3416.
early 20th century: from double, on the pattern of singleton.
Words that rhyme with doubletonsubaltern
Definition of doubleton in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia