Definition of doubleton in English:
1(In card games, especially bridge) a pair of cards that are the only cards of their suit in a hand.
- In a trump contract, the play of a higher card followed by a lower one may be made from a doubleton, indicating a desire to ruff, rather than just from a holding including a high card.
1.1A pair of people or things.
- The difference in sign of Tajima's D for each locus separately suggests a slight excess of singletons and doubletons in the North Carolina population, although this is not significant.
- The distribution of singletons, doubletons (low frequency variants), and other (high frequency) variants among the continents was investigated.
- We excluded singletons and doubletons and compared the following seven sites in order: M1046, M1312, M1414, M4325, A2144, A3203, and A3416.
Early 20th century: from double, on the pattern of singleton.
Words that rhyme with doubletonsubaltern
Definition of doubleton in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.